Lingo can save you over 50% off your traditional home phone service.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Akram backing India to win Asia Cup

Lahore: For ex-Pakistan cricket captain Wasim Akram, India are the hot favourites in the Asia Cup to be played in Pakistan from June 25 to July 6.

"Though Karachi's hot weather will be an additional rival for the participating teams in the Asia Cup, I see India as hot favourites for the event," the Dawn quoted Akram as saying.

This would be the first time Pakistan would be hosting the three-side tournament, including Bangladesh.

Speaking to reporters at the Gaddafi Stadium on Monday evening, he said he would like to coach Pakistan's national side if the PCB offered the assignment to him.

"I feel honoured if the PCB offers me any assignment as I believe the country gave me a lot and it is our duty to return to it. If the PCB offers me any assignment I will consider it but keeping in mind my other commitments. And if I have time I will be happy to make contribution for Pakistan cricket," he added.

Over the past few days, reports in the local press had suggested that the PCB was considering installing him as the new coach in place of Geoff Lawson.

About Lawson, who is currently in Australia on holidays, Wasim said no doubt Lawson's track record of 11 consecutive ODI victories was good, but added that the coach should reach Pakistan well before the team's departure to Bangladesh for the three-nation tournament to be held there from June 8.

Lawson is scheduled to return here on June 3 before Pakistan team leaves for Bangladesh, three days later.

On the occasion, Wasim also criticised the extended duration of the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL). "I have never seen such a long tournament in my life," he said.

He praised the performance of Pakistan's young all-rounder Sohail Tanvir in the IPL and added the bowler had a good future.

No comments:

PowWeb Hosting - Only $5.77 per month!
 
PicturesOnGold.com